OUR STORY

St. Andrew’s House began as a retreat center for the Diocese of Olympia in 1954, when the Lodge and its seven acres were given as a gift to the Diocese by the Norton Clapp family, purchased from the Arthur Symons family, who had built the Lodge in 1928.  Shortly thereafter, the Hawthorn Dent family donated the Cottage, below the Lodge on the Hood Canal, to Bishop Stephen Bayne as a place for his rest & recreation.  Bishop Bayne then dedicated what is now Bayne Cottage for the use of all Diocesan clergy and their families. 

The Diocese of Olympia consists of all Episcopal churches in Western Washington, from the Pacific Ocean to the Cascade Mountains, and from Vancouver WA on the southern border to Blaine on the Canadian border.  The Diocese is currently led by the Rt. Reverend Greg Rickel (look up his blog at https://bishoprickel.wordpress.com/). 

 

Since that time, St. Andrew’s House has expanded its hospitality to include churches & clergy of all denominations, art groups, nonprofit organizations, family events, weddings and retreats of all kinds.   A large renovation in 1999, conducted by Burt Duncan, expanded the capacity of St. Andrew’s, adding the Chapel, Sun Room, Dining Room and more rooms for guests.   

Our Mission

The mission of St. Andrew's House is to provide retreats for individual & group reflection

and community-building in communion with God and Creation.

Our Vision

St. Andrew's House will increase the accessibility of its services to all who seek to enter,

while maintaining the warmth, intimacy and home-like quality that our guests most value.

 

Walking through the Lodge, or around the serene garden grounds, one gets a strong sense of the many years of fellowship, prayer and love that have rooted St. Andrew’s House in its mission of hospitality as an act of our Christian worship.  Worship is liturgical, literally meaning “work of the people,” and in extending Christ’s hands to all who come to us, we honor both the visitor and the One who loves us all. 

Blessings,

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dan & Lois Oberg 

 

Dan became Director of St. Andrew’s House in September 2016, after serving as a lay minister and administrator for 30 years, most recently as Director of the Grunewald Guild, an art & faith community.  Lois is a Registered Nurse and is currently the Gardener at neighboring Harmony Hill. 

CONTACT US

Tel: (360) 898-2362 

7550 E. State Route 106, Union, WA 98592

© 2023 by Anton & Lily. Proudly created with Wix.com

  • Black TripAdvisor Icon
  • Black Facebook Icon
  • Black Instagram Icon